Case CCC Featured at City Club Cleveland Event This Friday
The Case Comprehensive Cancer Center will be featured in a forum discussion at this week's City Club Forum, this Friday, January 30 at noon.
Ruth Keri, Brian Bolwell, Neal Meropol and I will discuss critical issues for our community to appreciate about all of the exceptional work that you do, and we will advocate for the importance of cross-institutional efforts in medical research, especially in cancer, and the positive impact that it has on our efforts, our institutions, and our community. It is a terrific story and we need community recognition and support!
Some of the topics we plan to cover include:
- We will explain what the Case CCC is – a collaborative cancer research effort across Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, with involvement of researchers at the Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, and MetroHealth.
- We will highlight examples of how cancer researchers across Cleveland come together in breast cancer, prostate cancer, leukemias, clinical trials, and drug development.
- We will discuss how we can test new drugs in our hospitals with National Cancer Institute and drug company support, with over 1,100 patients enrolled in a drug study every year who can receive new drugs that they cannot receive anywhere else.
- We will also highlight and raise awareness of national issues in cancer research and cancer care, such as:
- Prevention and detection are the best way to cure cancer.
- Early detection is better than the best treatment for advanced disease.
- How to make treatments more cost effective and how to manage the reduction in cancer research funding from the NIH.
- New treatments are needed if we cannot cure the disease - this requires participation in clinical trials.
Throughout the discussion, we will give examples of your work and discoveries and we will mention members from each of our institutions in our remarks. This is terrific exposure for all of the good work that you do. We are proud to represent our incredible Cancer Center.
For those that would like attend, tickets are $18 for City Club members and $30 for nonmembers. Please visit the City Club of Cleveland website for more information and to purchase tickets.