The mission of the Biostatistics & Bioinformatics Core Facility (BBCF) is to provide and coordinate statistical, bioinformatics, and clinical informatics research support to Case CCC members in the design, planning, conduct, analysis, and reporting of research studies. Core members also play a key role in protocol review and study monitoring in the Case CCC.
- Study Design and Protocol Development
- Review of Cancer Center Protocols
- Data and Study Monitoring
- Biostatistical and Bioinformatics Analysis and Reporting
- Database Development and Management
- Participation in Educational and Training Activities in the Case CCC
Submit Your Request
- The BBCF core is available to help all investigators who are members of the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center with their cancer-related projects.
- Whether the BBCF will assist with a non-cancer project is at the discretion of the BBCF. All work done under the auspices of the BBCF on non-cancer projects will be billed to the investigator per the BBCF hourly rate.
- Assistance to Cancer Center members in development of grants and proposals, and on Cancer Center pilot studies is without charge.
- It is expected that investigators will support BBCF personnel for their time via hourly chargeback, coverage of a fixed percent effort in grants or contracts or negotiation of a fixed fee. Support of BBCF personnel for longer term projects will assist investigators with success of their projects.
- When core members have contributed to a publication in terms of meeting accepted standards for co-authorship (e.g., Annals of Internal Medicine 1977; 126: 36-47) their inclusion as co-authors is expected. Payment for services provided is not a substitute for co-authorship.
- Acknowledgement of the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Core from the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center (NCI grant # P30 CA043703) in scientific manuscripts is required.
- Investigators seeking help should contact the core well in advance of deadlines in order to be assured that assistance can be provided.
The Biostatistics & Bioinformatics Core Facility is obligated to provide support only for cancer-related projects. Services are divided into billable and non-billable activities.
- Nonbillable activities include time spent on preaward activities such as but not limited to: proposal, grant or protocol development, with expectations that the Core support will be budgeted. In addition we support cancer center pilot studies and work on studies where funding is provided for the member of the core either as a flat fee or percent FTE on a grant, or institutional support. Time spent by core members in educational, teaching, and protocol review and monitoring and other administrative activities is not charged.
- Billable activities include all other services spent on data analysis, programming, scientific manuscript writing and data processing not otherwise funded.
Cancer Center members receive free support for all non-billable activities. Non-members will be charged for all activities. Cancer center investigators at the Taussig Cancer Institute who receive support only from Taussig Cancer Institute personnel will not be billed because institutional support is provided.
Fees: All BBCF activities: $100/hour
Contact for Further Information
Wolstein Research Building 2-526, CWRU
Health Space Building HS1-570, Cleveland Clinic
Biostatistical support at Case/UH: Ming Li, PhD
Biostatistical support at Cleveland Clinic: Paul Elson, ScD
Bioinformatics and clinical Informatics support: Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, PhD
All other: Ming Li, PhD
Core administrator: Yingli Wolinsky, PhD, MBA
Core manager: Haley Gittleman, MS